Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Software and Hardware for the Field Part 1: The Voice Recorder

The field beckons to me and in less than three weeks I will be in Manila. It struck me as I was assembling my gear just how much technology I'm taking with me to conduct a relatively low-tech field research trip consisting primarily of interviews. So I thought it would be neat to catalog the tools that I'm going to take with me that will hopefully make research go a bit more smoothly.

1.) Olympus DS-2 Digital Voice Recorder

It's amazing (and perhaps a little sad) how utterly naked I feel when am forced to rely on pen and paper while taking notes. My handwriting is sloppy and I never bothered to learn shorthand. Also, because it's so important for me to be able to provide direct quotes in my write-ups, I have found it indispensable to have a good-quality digital voice recorder for interviews. There is sometimes a trade-off, as many social scientists will tell you, between the convenience of a recorder and the potential for the technology of the privileged to serve as a barrier to honest and candid conversation--the stereotype of the westerner with expensive gadgets come to extract knowledge from the "primitive" locals comes to mind. Still, given that my target population is generally an elite one, I decided that the potential benefits in terms of accuracy risks would far outweigh the risks that subjects would be reticent. Also, I tell my subjects before the interview begins that they can tell me to shut off the recorder and destroy the data at any time.

Anyway, I have used my DS-2 for about a year now and it has worked beautifully for my purposes. Here are the specs:

  • 64 MB memory with a max of 22.3 hours in LP mode, 10.5 hours in SP mode, 4.3 hours in HQ (high quality) mode, 2.2 hours in stereo SP mode and 1 hour in stereo HQ mode. I usually record in mono HQ mode with excellent results.
  • Built-in stereo microphone with jack for external microphone
  • 5 folders that can hold 199 files each
  • USB connectivity through a cable or through the included cradle
  • Built-in variable control voice actuator (VCVA) allowing for voice-controlled record starting and stopping. I have never liked using VCVA, whether on the DS-2 or my old microcassette recorder because it takes a second for the recorder to spin up, causing me tolose whatever was said during that second.
  • Up to 18 hours of continuous usage with 2 AAA batteries.
  • Indexing feature
  • Noise cancellation feature
  • Protective leather case
  • Internal speaker with headphone jack
  • Price: ~$100
From the looks of the Olympus website, the DS-2 has been discontinued in favor of models with more memory. However, the DS-2 is still available for around $100.


Above: The navigation buttons on the side of the DS-2. Note the microphone at the top. There is a second microphone on the opposite side of the recorder for stereo recording.

The DS-2 is great. It's small enough to hide in the cell phone pocket in my briefcase and, more to the point, small enough to avoid distracting my interviewees. The recording fidelity is exceptionally good, especially at higher quality settings. The only negative I have found is that in certain quality modes, files are saved only in Olympus's proprietary DSS format instead of MP3, meaning that you have to used Olympus's own editing software (included) to edit it. In mono HQ mode, though, files are recorded in WMA format, which can be read by most mainstream media players. If you want MP3 files, you will need to use the Olympus software to convert the DSS file to WAV format and then use another software program like Audacity to convert the WAV file to MP3 format.

No comments: