Monday, October 17, 2005

I Ching Strikes Again (and this time it's a little weird)

So last night I was sick and couldn't fall asleep and as certainly too tired to do more studying so I decided to fool around with the I Ching. Still being nervous about the exam (which is in four days) I asked the oracle about whether I would pass the exam (the same question as before). At first, I got "Difficulty at the Beginning" which moves to "Darkening of the Light". This morning, though I realized that I had done the reading wrongly by reversing the positions (I was supposed to conduct the hexagram reading from the first line at the bottom up rather than from the top down). So when I reversed the reading, I got "Youthful Folly".


YOUTHFUL FOLLY has success.
It is not I who seek the young fool;
The young fool seeks me.
At the first oracle I inform him.
If he asks two or three times, it is importunity.
If he importunes, I give him no information.
Perseverance furthers.


Heh, so I ask the Oracle the same question and it accuses me of importunity and youthful folly. How's that for eeriness?

I also had changing lines that moved the hexagram to "Progress"

THE JUDGMENT

PROGRESS. The powerful prince
Is honored with horses in large numbers.
In a single day he is granted audience three times.


So again, this suggests that even though I'm foolish for questioning the oracle things should turn out ok in the end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First rule of I Ching divination: don't ask the same question twice, at least not for some time....