The night before the day before the big day
35 hours before the big exam. Looking back on the past 4 months (has it already been that long?) I can see that I have come a long way in my understanding. I am beginning to feel like a real scholar. Still, a large part of me still wonders whether I will be up to the challenge on Friday. There is still so much that I don't know. Certainly I won't be able to recall everything that I've learned, but I hope that it will be sufficient.
Last night was horrible. Zero sleep and thus today zero work. My cough came back too. Tonight will be different, though. It's 9:15 and I'm about to crawl into bed after drinking some potent chamomile tea which my neighbor assures me should knock me out without any nasty side effects. In the morning I will review my notes one last time and then on Friday I will face my fate peacefully. (Geez it sounds like I'm about to be executed or something).
Seriously, I'm trying to get psyched for this. I'm going to be like Luke Skywalker, letting the Force guide me :-) If all goes well, then this ridiclously lifeless and monotonous chapter in my life can come to a close and I can return to normality. Never before has the thought of going for a walk just for the heck of it had so much appeal to me. OK, I'm off to bed now.

3 comments:
best wishes! good luck!
This may sound completely bizarre, since you are in the process of filling your mind, but what you need to do now is empty your mind. The knowledge you have acquired is in there; there is no point now in thinking about what you know or what you don't know. Better to let your attention drift on to other things around you: take a walk, appreciate that wonderful bay down there, go to a museum and look at beautiful paintings. When you walk into the exam, your brain will come to life of its own accord. You've got it; now, don't think about it, and when you need it, it will be there.
Good luck, from one bewildered academic to another :) !
Post a Comment