Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanks

Sam Crane at The Useless Tree writes that it is a "perfect Thanksgiving Day" in New England. A light snow sounds really nice right now, and although I love California, I can't help but long for a good old-fashioned Massachusetts Thanksgiving, like the one my family is having right now. Somehow, sixty-degree weather just doesn't seem appropriate for Thanksgiving. I haven't shared Thanksgiving with my family since 2002 when I still lived in Massachusetts. It's so expensive to fly home for a few days and I'd be coming back in two weeks for Christmas anyway. So I'll be hanging out with some colleagues today instead. It will be fun, but I still miss spending this holiday with my family. Mom makes a killer lasagna (and a killer turkey, and a killer stuffing, and, well you get the picture).

All in all, it has been a pretty quiet year, without any big dramas or changes, which I am thankful for. I am definitely grateful that I passed my first prelim and that things are starting to move along with pre-dissertation work (I just wish I had more uninterrupted time to think about this stuff instead of having to worry about pesky prelims and coursework). For the first time in my 10+ years living on my own, I am in a building that is not a dormitory. I love the fact that I can walk up to the roof at dusk and watch the sun sink beneath the horizon over the ocean, and I love my housemates. All in all, I've been very fortunate this year.

Oops, a friend just called me to grab breakfast. I'd better run. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

No comments: